Monday, July 19, 2010

Eden

Saturday. I had just returned from an eight hour day at work, finished my shower, and was just grabbing a book because (surprise surprise) I had no plans for that night. That generally tends to happen in Lyndonville. However, just as my slump was about to begin, my phone vibrated. It was Eden!

"Hey, what are you doing right now?"

"Nothing."

"Wanna hang out maybe go for a drive?"

"Sure!"

Eden is one of my closest friends who hasn’t been introduced to this blog yet because we haven’t been in too much contact recently since we both started college. We started to become close friends in high school during my freshman/sophomore year. We were both in theater and Select Ensemble so we spent a lot of time together. We especially connected after Eden and Megan became friends when they roomed together at the Vermont Districts music festival. The three of us were absolutely inseparable; and we took Lyndon Institute, Lyndonville, the state of Vermont, and our families for a whirlwind ride with our friendship. Some of the greatest adventures of my life happened with Eden and Megan, and most of my personal growth and strength had a lot to do with our time together. I have told Eden before that she is like a ray of sunshine. When I see her, I can’t help but smile. Eden is the perfect artist. She views everything as a beautiful canvas. Her dream is to one day own her own health food store with a cafĂ©. What is there not to love?

Unfortunately, once college started taking over our lives; Eden and I drifted apart. We were focused on our own lives and playing catch up was getting too difficult to maintain. We stayed in semi-contact but that didn’t really seem to work. You know that feeling where if you are away from someone for so long that it suddenly seems like you don’t know them anymore? That’s kind of how it felt with Eden. Life got ahead of us.

Saturday was the day to reconnect however. Eden and I met up in her new (to her) car which she had decked out with beaded seat covers and washable paint, went to Cumby’s for some iced coffee, and then parked for about an hour. Just talking. My ray of sunshine came back to me. Later we stopped by Kinney Drugs to see Megan. In a spontaneous gesture that reminded me completely of our high school adventures, we made plans to go dancing at the Packing House (Lyndonville’s not-as-cool version of a city club) and then stay the night at Eden’s house. What followed was a night to remember with a fun dance party, a stunning photo session in Cumby’s parking lot, making plans to visit each other at college, playing dress-up at Eden’s house, getting to know her seven new hamsters, four hours of sleep while trying to watch The Time Traveler’s Wife, and a delicious breakfast of smore’s pancakes and coffee. It was amazing being able to reconnect again, and wouldn’t give the night up for anything.


Peace out!

1 comment: