Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Interesting Weekend



This past weekend was interesting. It was very fun, just very different and full of activities. It all started on Saturday when Megan and I went to the HO Wheeler school in the North End of Burlington to help paint their gymnasium. It was a Champlain College campus-wide event that Megan as an RA made into a dorm event for The Q. It was a lot of fun and it felt amazing to help out. The principal there was extremely grateful we were all there to help make their school a better place. Megan and I helped out for about three hours cleaning up and washing paint brushes. Afterwards we drove around exploring Burlington (the North End is like a maze...) and went back to UVM to go to the Eat My Art Out dance showcase.

After a hilarious visit to Burger King (you can find some of the most interesting people at Burger King), Megan brought me to the Flynn Theatre to watch the Lucinda Childs show Dance for my dance Movement and Improvisation class.

Lucinda Childs' "Dance"

The performance was once again...interesting...It was supposed to be an experiment in repetition, and trust me, that message was made loud and clear. The music was like a mix of Ke$ha and the New York Philharmonic, techno-orchestra I'd like to call it, and it was on repeat for each of the three dances. The choreography meanwhile was the same moves over and over and over again. It kind of put me in a hypnotic trance, but then the music would change key or the moves would change, and I would be immediately snapped out of the trance. It was weird. And they played a video of the same dance as it was filmed back in 1979 on the scrim in front of the live dancers so they moved in tandem. Extra weird...But I enjoy any occasion to go to the Flynn.

On Sunday Megan and I traversed to Royall Tyler Theatre to finish writing cues for my light lab project for my lighting class. I'm doing a light show to Lady Gaga's Born This Way. Yeah, I know. Awesome. When we got to the theatre, however, I was unnerved by the number of non-theatre people that had invaded the building. Apparently there was an international debate team competition going down in the theatre. Why? I don't know. Mess? Oh yeah.


The theatre kind of looked like a disaster zone. UPlayers had to find another meeting space because there was no space, and then I had to stick around to have a rehearsal for a class project. Meanwhile, all the senior directors for the Spring Play Festival were scrambling to find rehearsal space. Needless to say, the theatre kids of UVM were pissed. And it's not cool to get a theatre kid pissed. We kind of ban together, and that we did. We got free pizza and muffins. I'm not telling how...

Like I said, an interesting weekend.

Peace out!

1 comment:

  1. Aw, that sounds like loads of fun! miss you guys <3 <3

    ReplyDelete