Monday, August 15, 2011

Just A Couple of Poems

I wrote these for my Creative Writing class. I think I'm going to start writing more because these were a lot of fun as was this class. Enjoy!


They told me she was gone.

They told me you were gone,
But I didn’t believe them.
I knew that tomorrow I had to wake up next to you.
They showed me your coffin,
Asked me to say something in your honor,
But I couldn’t do it, not for them.
I tried to remember why they were burying an empty coffin,
And I looked for you, honestly I did.
They told me you were gone.
I told them they were lying.
We would meet for dinner that night
At your favorite restaurant.
I would walk you through the park,
And the streetlights would illuminate the trees
So that they seemed to embrace us
Just as I stopped to caress your cheek.
I knew I would have to lean in close
And you would breathe softly
While your heart picked up speed.
Our lips had to touch,
And I had to hang onto you
Because I knew that I could never lose you.

They stand like mountainous pillars rising into the sky,
Taller than anything I’ve seen before.
My mind wanders along their sides,
Mixing with the smog and clouds above.

The lights are mesmerizing,
Illuminating the night as though the Sun’s light had been born on Earth.
Here I find no need to be scared,
Here I feel the pull of home.

Strolling the streets is like taking a tour of the world.
Different people of all different lives share this air, and share this city.
Everything is available, every culture represented, everyone has a place,
And every dream is achievable.

My dreams are born here,
In the whiskey-scented nightclubs and the haze filled dance floors,
From the wombs of Sondheim’s characters and the heart of Hammerstein’s music.
My soul was manifested from the backdoor alleyways and the rooftops at night,
My heart forged on the stage floor and exiting out the backstage door.

Peace out!

1 comment:

  1. dude, I really really like the first one! it has a fantastically sad feel, really emotional. <3

    ReplyDelete