Sunday, September 12, 2010

Callbacks

Let me tell you about yesterday. This story begins on Thursday at 6:20pm when I had my audition for UVM Theatre's A Doll's House. I chose a monologue from Judith Guest's novel/film/play Ordinary People. It was a monologue where the teenage son in a family was committing suicide. I felt very good about the audition, and it WAS good. The next day I was on the callback list, with callbacks scheduled for that night. So I went, prepared to move and to read. That night, Megan, Ashley, Jess (Lowell, we were all hanging out that night. We went and saw The Last Exorcism. Not that scary, but humorous.), and I went to check the second callback list (there were supposed to be double callbacks the next morning.) These were cancelled, however, with a sign that read:

CAST LIST TO BE POSTED BY NOON TOMORROW

Needless to say, I was freaking out, and I was definitely nervous...

Enter Saturday. I left 308 for breakfast and the cast list. The latter was somewhat of a fail. I didn't get into the show. I am still SO proud that I made it into a callback which is a major accomplishment in itself. And even though I didn't get in-I got to participate in an amazing callback learning experience. I mean, we did an interpretive dance! That's pretty awesome. However, the events that followed definitely added insult to injury. I tried to go to my dining hall (Cook's Commons on UVM Central Campus) but went to find it closed. Apparently as a part of its new hours-Cook's Commons closes on Saturday. Awesome. Then later on Champlain campus, I dropped a roadblock (yes, that's right a roadblock, don't ask) on my foot, my toes to be exact. I thought I had broken them because it was so painful. My toes turned red and got cut, and now they're a fantastic color mix of black, blue, and red.

We had to press on though because earlier in the week Megan and I bought tickets to check out local playwright Maura Campbell's Flower Duet presented by Green Candle Theater Company and preformed at the FlynnSpace black box theater. Most importantly, our friend Natalie Miller starred in the show. It was amazing and the acting was completely brilliant and natural. A gorgeous piece of contemporary theater. And the best part, it was completely Vermont-made and produced. So cool. Check out the reviews: The Burlington Free Press and The Times Argus.

Later after the show, a meeting with my scene partner, and dinner Megan and I met back up to meet two of my UVM Theatre friends Alice and Zoe at Edmunds Middle School to go contra dancing. This would be the second time we've gone to a contra dance, the first being last year when Ashley's parents took us to her aunt's contra dance. It was so much fun, such a fantastic workout and art. It did not do wonders to my toes however which still hurt and are still bruised. They will heal, just as I've gotten over not being in the play. There is so much other stuff to do, and there will always be other opportunities. For now, life is going on.

Peace out!

2 comments:

  1. <33333333333

    you are fantastic. I've never seen one like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 you're wonderful. just try not to drop any more roadblocks on your toes in the future, kay?

    XXOO

    ReplyDelete