Thursday, June 3, 2010

Meg Ryan's NEK Adventures Part 2

The adventures continue! On Memorial Day Megan, my parents, and I went on an epic hike through a beautiful part of the NEK. The day began with a crazed run-around with my parents in which Megan got to see what a day with my family is like. Basically it consisted of my dad yelling about how we were wasting (or burning, in his words) daylight because we slept in until 11 o'clock in the morning. After a wonderful breakfast of bagels with cream cheese and chocolate chip cookies, we piled into two cars and headed out. We parked Megan's car at the end of the CCC Road at Lake Willoughby which according to my dad was a road built during the Depression. We parked my beloved Pete (the name I have thoroughly given to my dad's car, and the car I drive with my license) at the top of the road and started the hike.


It really was a beautiful hike and despite having a stick stab through my shoe, it was almost perfect. Until we took a couple (A LOT) of wrong turns. My dad got us lost, basically. He thought the yellow signs on the trees with arrows were the correct way. Instead, those arrows are the snowmobile trails. So, instead of bringing us to Megan's car at the end of the road, we were getting farther and farther away. We came to this body of water that apparently is called Lost Pond. (I know, I liked it too!)

We did not have to end up setting up camp and rubbing sticks for fire however. We came across a family who had passed by us awhile back on the trail in a truck. We found their truck abandoned on the trail later on because the road had been blocked. After walking around Lost Pond, we found them coming back because they too had gone the wrong way. After a hike back around the pond through mud and past snake holes, we got a ride to the correct trail in the back of the random family's pickup truck.


After a long hike, we finally made it back to the car. It was another wild Vermont NEK adventure, and one of the best trips ever! Thank you to the awesome family who helped us out! Megan and I want to bring Velvet and Ashley on this road sometime, mostly because we think it would be funny to all get lost together.

Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment