Monday, October 18, 2010

Autotune

These "Auto tune the News" songs from Youtube honestly get me through anything. I just play them and I can't help but laugh and sing along. The bad thing about them is, they are a really hardcore procrastination tool. Writing a paper: sit down, turn on computer, gather notes, check Facebook, check email, check Twitter, open Microsoft Word, sit there thinking, type my name, type the title, type the date and the class, sit there some more, open Youtube, decide on which one to play next, and play. That's how it goes every time, and then eventually I can make my way back to the paper, but this time I will be more refreshed and vibrant. Who knows? Maybe a little bright and a little more vivid. Then I run and tell that homeboy and back it up and then I start my paper. It works. Try it some time.







Oh jeez, I just found another one in my Youtube wanderings:



Hooray for more options when I procrastinate! I think auto tuning (for those of you who don't necessarily know what auto tuning is, click here) in some cases can be a really cool way to change a song or make a different kind of pitch/noise. Being a singer, I'm really against auto tuning whole tracks or songs, just to make the singer sound better. It totally makes benign all vocal training. It's cheating. If you have training and you have worked your voice so you can produce pitches and sing melodically, then you shouldn't need it. That's why I love Lady Gaga so much. And by the way, there are all these rumors out there that all the singers on Glee are auto tuned. I refuse to believe that. They are all trained singers. And yes, sometimes when the sound mixers are mixing songs they add some auto tune to add a different sound or style. That's the point: when used to create a different sound, auto tuning is cool. It is still considered an art form because sound mixing itself is an art form. Why should auto tuning be cast out? It's when it undermines the integrity of a song that auto tuning goes too far. There's food for thought today. I'm off to class, work (Toys tickets go on sale today), and then more class (Dramatic Analysis midterm today, wish me luck!).

Peace out!

1 comment: