Saturday, October 23, 2010

Political Action

I've been reflecting and acting on a lot of political things lately. It started with the whole "ground zero mosque" thing as you could tell from this blog post and with the talks about repealing "Don't Ask Don't Tell" - fueled by Lady Gaga. (Click here for some info.) Megan and I even ended up calling our Vermont state senators about that one. This week, on Wednesday, I continued my streak of political action by wearing purple. It was LGBTQ Spirit Day - so called to memorialize, remember, and reflect on all the teen suicides that have occurred recently and which have been sparked by bullying and harassment because the individuals were gay. For more information, click here. To see what Megan wrote about the subject, click here.

These tragedies cannot go unnoticed. Someone needs to take a stand. Wearing purple on Wednesday was a sign of what a few people can do to spark change and hope. Almost everyone in the theater at UVM was adorned in purple. It was amazing, and we were all incredibly excited to be a part of the movement and support. Our generation must be the voice that stands up for what is right. Discrimination and harassment just because someone is different from who you are is one of the cruelest evils in this world, a wrong going back to the slave trade in America and the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s. Some people can say, "get over it," or "it's a part of life." But, I've been there. You can't get over it. Sometimes suicide can seem like the only way out, and the only form of escape for these people, but that is only because they feel so alone and so isolated. But they need to know that they are not alone, that there are people out there who care about other people, and who are willing to make a difference.

So I wore purple.

On another note, today Megan and I watched the new documentary film Waiting for Superman for one of her classes.


The film is about our nation's educational system and basically how America is failing our children. Did you know that America ranks last in math and science scores among developed nations? Did you know that the reason most jobs in America go to foreign countries is because no one is qualified for them...because they haven't been educated? I think the chancellor of the District of Columbia school system Michelle Rhee put it very well. She said that the education system has become this thing that keeps the adults involved happy when it really should be about the kids. With my new career goal as a theater teacher, I realize I will soon be thrown into the system, but that is why I want to be a teacher. I want to help kids and inspire them like I have been inspired. I wept when I saw how these children are being cheated out of life. Their entire futures depend on a lottery that will tell them if they get into school of not. They have teachers who don't even teach them. They just sit there reading a damn newspaper, completely protected by tenure while the kids slip right through the system. It made me incredibly upset to see how messed up our system is.

I don't know why I've been so fired up about political things lately. Maybe it's just because a lot of stuff has happened recently all at once. Maybe it's just because as I get older I notice more about our world and all of its wrongs. Maybe I'll follow Bertolt Brecht and do political presentational theater. I don't know. It's really sad when you think about it, but then there's always hope. There's always a protagonist willing to stand up for what is right. I think the voice of our generation is just that. Thanks for listening. I hope I've brought some things to light maybe you haven't thought of before, and maybe I've inspired you. Just know that you are never alone.

Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment