Monday, January 3, 2011

Cross Country Skiing

I've been a bad blogger. And I promise, I'm trying to reform. I'll work extra hard to make sure not another two weeks goes by without a blog post. It's very hard when you don't have Internet at your house and you have to hole yourself in the student lounge at Lyndon State College frantically trying to catch up on everything that would have been done had I been at school with regular Internet. Parents *cough cough*. Anywho, enough with that...I hope everyone had a joyous and merry Christmas and a very very happy New Year. We had a very small Christmas but it was nice. On Christmas Eve my parents, Megan, and I went to church at my old childhood church and sang carols. My parents and I had a very relaxing Christmas day and on New Years I got to see my brother, his wife, and Iris again. Then Megan and I went on a night drive to Rosie's house (another one of our friends who lives in Barre, we love her to pieces) and to the First Night in Montpelier which we had no idea existed. It was basically a giant block party and they lit giant crate paper Japanese lanterns which flew into the sky. There had to have been hundreds of them. It was beautiful. We tried looking for Erin while we were there, but to no avail. Oh yeah, then Megan and I went to the Cumby's (the same one we almost got robbed in) and made friends with these two po-po's (police officers for those of you who don't know street lingo homie) who were getting coffee. Then we got this hypershock coffee with 50% more caffeine in it. Intense.

Unfortunetely, this break has been somewhat stressful. I've been thinking about a ton of future and money and plays and such... Because I didn't get any hours at McDick's (I'm not going to spit out the whole corporate name for you again), which I know is because of this crappy economy but still...I've started thinking about finding a new job. Meanwhile, I also auditioned (and got called back for) Hairspray though Chase's company Act Three Theatricals being performed at the Haskell Opera House this summer. I want to be in the show so bad, but if I need a new job with wonky hours (I'm looking into working at LSC because it's so close by and there may be awesome job opportunities), then I can't do the show. It's all very dramatic and stressful (but hey, that's my life, right?).

Because of everything being so stressful, I've been thinking about those times during the winter when all I felt was calm and peace. It goes back to my freshman year of high school when I was on LI's cross country ski team. Yes, I know what you're going to say, "OMG, Ryan did sports!?" Yeah, it's crazy. I did it for a PE credit, okay? High school sucks. Anyway, sometimes we would go to Burke Mountain, or my personal favorite, to the Wildflower Inn on the Kingdom Trails to practice and ski. Of course I always fell behind everyone because I have zero strength and physical endurance so I was always alone on the course. I would be so slow that it would get start to get dark and I would still be making my way along the trail trying to reach the end. And when I would get lost, that would be even better. The thing is, it was magical. I would be so cold that after awhile I wouldn't even feel the pain in my legs and thighs or the sting of snow as it slapped my face. Dusk would settle and the sun would cast a massive glow over the entire mountain. The snow looked like cream as a glided over it. The trees were tall and imposing, and yet they glistened with the ice that trickled from their branches. It was a moment of peace. I didn't even care that I was always the last one to the bus and I came in last place for every race I competed in. I was enjoying the beauty of where I was.

Peace out!

2 comments: