Sunday, January 16, 2011

Service With A Smile

Back in Burlington! Yep, I returned to the big, not-so-bad Burly World on Friday where I was introduced to Megan's new dorm: The Q.


It's off the hook! She basically has her own apartment with a full kitchen, a HUGE living room, her own bedroom, and her own personal bathroom with a bathtub. The only issue is that it's quite far away considering it's an "off-campus dorm," but we have found ways to remedy that. There are secret roads and bike paths that totally take you there, and there's always the Champlain off-campus shuttle. It's not a big deal. It does mean that I can't really traverse to The Q during the week because of schedules and Megan can't really hike it to Converse either because of RA duties. But it's still cool. Her room is awesome. In case I haven't made myself perfectly clear...her room is awesome. The best part about the whole deal is that it's free because she's an RA. Well, it's not completely free I mean she does actually have to work as an RA but you get the point.

Anyway, before arriving at The Q, my mom and I stopped in for some lunch at Olive Garden, one of the best restaurants ever. We got a waitress that was pretty amazing. She kept saying "PERFECT!" all the time about everything we said.

"Soup, salad, and breadsticks??? PERFECT!"

It was in one of those rad, pothead, skateboard-type voices and it wasn't just "PERFECT," there were definitely a couple of "right ons!" thrown in there. Also, my mom asked for the dressing to be put on the side of our salad (she doesn't like a lot of dressing, crazy I know) so when this wonderfully ignorant, yet very entertaining waitress returned with our salad, she said:

"I like totally kept forgetting you didn't want dressing so a accidentally made like six salads with dressing on them. I kept looking down and was like, 'Crap!'"

I tried to get my mom to write "PERFECT!" on the receipt but she wouldn't do it.

I came back to Burlington at such an odd time because we started rehearsals for UVM's Twelfth Night this weekend. So far they're going very well. It's going to be a fantastic show, and I'm not saying that just because I'm in it. I'm kind of nervous because this is my first Shakespeare, but I think with this cast and the guidance we're receiving along with the hard work we're willing to put in, it will all work out. I'm definitely going to learn a lot. Plus, I'm already starting to gain an appreciation for Shakespeare. That's definitely an accomplishment. Shakespeare just really hasn't been something I've connected to or necessarily liked. I think it's because I just haven't understood it before. Now as I've grown in theatrical experience, I can actually understand what's happening and how these characters feel, especially what they want. Anyway, I've been living here at The Q all weekend getting to know Megan's co RA Nicole, watching Megan bust butt as an RA, making wicked awesome food in the wicked awesome kitchen, and watching the Miss America pageant.

Then, this morning (finally) UVM opened the dorms at noon and I was able to move in. I had rehearsal at 1:15. Problem. My parents and Megan's mom and gram arrived at 11 and we all went out to eat. This wouldn't have been an issue to our timetable if the waiter at Friendly's wasn't so slow. We legit waited three hours for our food. Okay, maybe not three hours but a long time. I managed to check in and get my card reactivated around 12:45. Let the Japanese game show that was moving me back into Converse begin. It was like a soul train line of my mom, me, Megan, her mom, and my dad parading up the stairs with my crap. Megan raced in to retrieve all the stuff she had in there and I threw it all in, then booked it to rehearsal.

Just in time.

Peace out!

1 comment:

  1. Whoa. Rereading that made me feel like I was in the midst of moving everything all over again. P.S. My 'again' came out like 'a gain'. I love a gains!

    ReplyDelete