Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Megan's 20th Birthday

Okay, epic blog post. Finally, I am home for spring break! It feels so good to sleep in my own bed again and to eat actual food. Plus, I’m realizing how much I truly missed everyone here. Once again, the downside is the lack of internet so I am going to attempt to squeeze in an enormous amount of info into one post. Yep, spring break is good. Let me tell you how it started:

Ashley and Ryan’s epic adventure. So, with the approach of Megan’s birthday on Sunday, 308 (basically me, Velvet, and Ashley) wanted to put something together for the occasion. This was sort of thwarted mostly because none of us had any money, or at least not enough to substantiate any activity we could plan. Instead, we decided to scrap whatever little money we had into making a cake. Thursday night, Ashley and I went to the store to buy cake mix, frosting, and chocolate chips (oh yeah…). Needless to say, it slipped our minds that we might actually need to get eggs and oil to actually produce this cake. Yeah, totally didn’t think of that. So Friday night, after getting lollipops and money at the bank, we went to Price Choppper to get those ingredients, plus some extra things I needed for the weekend’s birthday festivities. After running down the sidewalk with three bags of semi-fragile groceries screaming profanities to catch up with the bus and walking eight blocks at night and receiving assistance from a very helpful Wings driver (Wings always saves the day!), we made it back to 308. You can read the details of this adventure on Ashley’s blog: http://308feeleylove.blogspot.com/
Megan’s birthday weekend of spontaneous plan-changing. On Saturday morning, Megan and I woke up at 8:00 a.m. to get ready for Megan’s mom and gram to meet us at the dorm at 9:00 a.m. Or so we thought… Apparently, they had been waiting in the parking lot since 7 o’clock so that we could catch a noontime show of Avatar at an IMAX theater somewhere near Manchester, NH. Oh… After packing the car in a hurried rush, we sped down the road (with a pitstop at Dunkin Donuts!) and proceeded with the roadtrip!
We did make it to the showing, even if we were a couple of minutes late which was very surprising to me. Megan’s gram really stepped on it! Basically, Avatar was amazing. I hadn’t cried so hard in a movie like that since Wall-E, and that wasn’t even in 3-D! Anyway, this was Megan’s 2nd time watching it, and her mom and gram’s 4th time, and they still got emotional. You know it’s a good movie when that happens.
Anyway, on top of all this, Megan got sick around Thursday so the birthday awesomeness was also competing with a sore throat and later mucus, so that didn’t help things. We got to the hotel in Burlington, MA around five that evening, after spending about an hour trying to find the stupid place. It was like it was located in an entirely different dimension! We found it somehow after having to call the front desk. Apparently they get that a lot. The room was very nice (except for the coffee maker), and after eating at the Rainforest Café (in the GIGANTIC Burlington Mall after a 2 ½ hour wait for a table, but it was worth it), Megan went to the pool while I decorated the room. I put up streamers and balloons, giant WTF dinosaurs (it’s a Meg Ryan thing), pictures from Megan’s life starting from childhood, and I also got a cake with candles. We had a good time, despite everything that happened. We ended up watching P.S. I Love You and taking insane pictures in the hotel hallway and elevator.
The next day, we ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant where the waiter flirted with Megan’s mom and only charged us for two meals. We also went to a waterpark about fifteen minutes from the hotel. I have never been so wet in all my life. At one point, I couldn’t tell if it was water or my pee from screaming to death on the water slides. It was a good time, and the pre-teen girls that were there were fun to make fun of. OMG! THE JONAS BROTHERS!

After getting lost, going around in a circle, eating, and sleeping for an hour and a half in the car, we made it to Lyndonville Sunday evening. I wouldn’t take back a minute of that trip. I hope you had a really good (and spontaneous) 20th birthday Megan! Thank you so much for having me along for the ride!

So that’s basically how spring break started. And now I’m home and helping Erin and the Lyndon Institute Theater Company get ready to host and perform for the Vermont regional theater festival on Saturday. Can’t wait! How’s your spring going?

Peace out!

2 comments: